Saturday, February 6, 2016

A top for work - Simplicity 8061

Tops. Lots and lots of tops. Preferably ones that I can wear to work. That's kind of what I am focused on. But now that the weather is warming I think it may change. Because dresses. Yes, I need to make me some for my vacation this summer. Woohoo.

I actually finished this top last weekend. It wasn't a difficult one at all. But I wound up getting sick during the week and today was the first day I had the energy to dress and put on makeup for pictures. I'm still not 100% but this is what you get.

So anyway, on to the top! For this one I used Simplicity 8061. I used my standard size 12 for tops. However, because of what happened on my last top, I graded it out to a size 14 for my hips. Oh the joys of being pear shaped... Is their a better name than pear shaped? It's not really attractive..


I like this pattern because of all the different variations. Super easy to make so many different tops. Really perfect for work wear. I went with view C because I don't have any tops in RTW that are squared off at the top.

And the result was...


That's my dog in the bottom corner. He wanted to hang out for this photo shoot. It was so beautiful outside! Almost 70 degrees.


The neckline is a little crooked but I think that has to do more with how I was standing and moving then what the pattern ends up looking like. It is usually straight.

My one problem was the sleeves. Why are they poofing out on top? Does anyone know? Please help!


None of my other shirts seem to have the poofy problem.

The shirt also has this detailing on the side. I don't think my camera picked it up well though for the picture. But you get the idea.


I haven't quite perfected the turning of the stitch up top there. But I did much better this time than I have on other shirts I have attempted it on.

Typically I would wear this shirt with slacks to work. But being sick and all I just threw the top on with some jeans.

The fabric is from Hancock Fabrics and you can find it here. It is called Rayon Challis Blurred Floral Natural Rayon Fabric. Whew! What a name. It is 100% Rayon and sooooo comfortable. I can't get over how soft it is. But I found a flaw on it while I was sewing. I'm so sad. Looks like something got caught on it and there is a run. So I recommend inspecting it, and other fabrics, before you buy.

1 comment:

  1. Just purchased this pattern; looking for a simple top. Thanks for sharing your pics. You did a great job,

    ReplyDelete