Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Tank top time!

I made this a week or so ago but life got busy and I could never blog about it. The weather warmed up here and got me ready for the warmer weather.

I decided to attempt McCall's M6751.

The model is super cute in it so I looked forward to the end result. I tried finding a similar colored cotton fabric but nothing really stood out to me at the store. I ended up finding a cotton fabric at Joann's. The fabric is called Burnout Cotton Fabric-Packed Floral Multi and is 100% cotton. It was see-through so I lined it with a plain white cotton (basically I cut out two identical tops using each fabric and sewed them together).

I cut a size 12 and graded it out to a 14 for my hips. I also added 1" in length because it seemed short on the model and I know I couldn't pull it off.

And the result?

I apologize for my hair. I've been lazy with it lately. I should have put it up like the model...

The front neckline does not lay flat. It isn't bad but can be noticeable. Not sure if this was my fault or the way the pattern is done.

The back is where I am most disappointed. The hole is right where your bra strap is. I am not one to be able to go braless. Not sure what to do about this. Any suggestions?

Even adding an inch my belly still shows when I raise my arms. Something you might want to think about if you're making this top.

With the exception of my bra showing in the back it's not a bad top. It is comfortable, easy to move around in, and good for warm weather.

Taking a look at my top now and the model's I see her straps are smaller. I might go back and make mine smaller as well. But it won't fix the bra hole :(


  1. Hi Jennifer! It's a really cute top. Have you tried unpicking the straps from the front bodice to see if you can make an adjustment there that will help both issues? I'm betting the neckline problem is related to those straps, or it could be that you could give it a shallow "slit" opening in front so that it looks like it's supposed to do that :-) At any rate, once the back straps are no longer attached to the bodice you have the option of even cutting them off in a straight, horizontal line (above your bra strap) in the back. Then add a strip of contrasting fabric (so there's no "hole" in back), and reattach the straps, shortening them as needed. I really love that fabric, by the way.

  2. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately because it's easier to make) the straps are not a separate piece. This top is only two pattern pieces. It attached down the center back and the straps at the top to each other. I do think your slit opening is a great idea. That could definitely work! I suppose I could cut the straps off so they are their own separate piece of fabric then I could make more adjustments... hmmm you got me thinking. Thanks for the great ideas! I'll add a link to the fabric, it's 60% off right now!