Saturday, April 2, 2016

I have Peg Legs! (otherwise known as leggings)

Somehow randomly surfing the internet I came across this company called Patterns for Pirates. They also call themselves P4P. They have some very cute patterns at affordable prices. I notice most patterns (maybe all?) are for knit fabrics. They were doing a special on their Peg Leg pattern and I was able to get it for free. What better way to try a new company and pattern?

This was my first time printing a pattern off of the internet. It takes some work to piece it together. I wasn't a huge fan of having to do this. But for this simple pattern I can't say it was all that difficult. Maybe if I wasn't sitting on the couch and watching TV it would have been easier... After printing and piecing I used my regular scissors to cut it to my size before laying it on the fabric for cutting.

Being new to online patterns and printing I was lost when the waistband didn't have a pattern piece. Turns out I had to make that on my own. Not that it was hard. But for a minute I thought the download was wrong or I was missing a page.

I don't know why I always seem to lay the pattern wrong size together when I go to cut. It's a bad habit. But luckily it doesn't change the results. I just risk getting it all dirty.

Do you notice the wrong size showing because of the terrible cut job on top? Yeah, I am mad at Joann's Fabrics for that one. They shouldn't allow that to happen. Luckily I didn't need that missing piece of fabric for the pattern. The fabric though I do like. It is Nicole Miller's Rayon-Spandex Fabric-Feathers Black. It is 94% rayon and 6% spandex.



This pattern calls for 50% 4-way stretch fabric. They say if you have at least 5% spandex you should be okay.

I wear a size 10 US and ended up cutting a size Large for the pattern.


The pattern comes with lengths for shorties, bike, capri, and full length. I obviously went to the ankle. I've heard people have made shorties as bathing suit bottoms.


I did make one edit to the pattern. Instead of a 7" waistband I made a 9" waistband. I wanted it a little higher on my belly to hold the fat in :)


I look so angry in this last photo.

I can see myself wearing these all of the time. They are so comfy. And there are so many fabrics I can find that work. The other good thing is, at least for my size, I can make these out of 1 yard of fabric. Now off to find a good pattern to make a top to go with these. My RTW shirt isn't cutting it.

1 comment:

  1. Hi I just came across your blog and it has helped me in my quest to teach myself how to sew. I just finished a new tote bag and I am moving on to my first top!

    ReplyDelete